A wavy, textured, surface (unique to Dronino meteorites) is embossed in a platinum-hued patina: the result of a centuries-long interaction of this meteorite’s unique chemical composition with that of the ground. Evoking a leaping cat, this is among the more noteworthy zoomorphic meteorites known. Accompanied by a custom armature, this is a decorative example of a singularly exotic meteorite
9 ⅔ x 4¾ x 2in. (244 x 119 x 53mm.)
Please note this lot is the property of a private individual.
Need Help? Email our Specialists or call +44 (0)20 7839 9060 with questions.
First discovered by a mushroom hunter in 2000, specimens of the Dronino meteorite shower are part of the rare “ungrouped” population of iron meteorites. While 89% of iron meteorites are members of established chemical groups, the other 11% are chemically unrelated to other specimens. Dronino is one of these exotic, ungrouped irons. There is no meteorite that is chemically similar to Dronino, which implies it originated from a previously unknown parent asteroid.
The mushroom hunter discovered the first mass approximately 20 kilometers from an ancient town founded in 1152. As there is no historical record of what would have been an extremely memorable event of a fireball accompanied by sonic booms and smoke trails, it can be inferred Dronino‘s arrival occurred when the area was unpopulated. And, given the extent of terrestrial sculpting, a descent to Earth more than a millennium ago can be confidently fixed.
Post Lot Text
This lot has been imported from outside the EU for sale and placed under the Temporary Admission regime. Import VAT is payable at 5% on the hammer price. VAT at 20% will be added to the buyer’s premium but will not be shown separately on our invoice.